Thursday, May 27, 2010

BEA was H*O*T!

Book Expo America
May 25th - May 27th!

What an experience BEA (BookExpo America) was this year! I want to thank all the wonderful authors & publishers who shared their latest books, signed copies and chatted books. I met a lot of nice bookish people too! Including Vicky from Ohio who I got to know as we waited to see Sara Gruen and have her sign a copy of her new book Ape House for us.

For those of you unfamiliar with BEA, BookExpo America, is the largest publishing event in North America. With over 500 authors and 1500 exhibitors, it's a way to celebrate our passion for books, find out what's new in the publishing world and what's coming around the corner. There are forums and conferences, presentations and readings. There are luncheons with authors, and breakfasts too! It's a wonderful way to see a favorite author, but also to discover new authors! And I did both!

Some of the HOT books this year were Ape House by Sara Gruen, who wrote Water for Elephants, and which I absolutely loved. And The Passage by Justin Cronin. Helen Simonson was signing her book Major Pettigrews Last Stand, and Lee Child was also at BEA signing his newest Jack Reacher novel, 61 Hours.

The Mystery Writers of America had some great authors to meet at their booth , including Alan Orloff, Cara Black, and Deanna Raybourn. Next door to the Mystery Writers of America was St. Martin's Press and Jonathan Maberry signing copies of Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory, his supernatural thrillers (yes, including some zombies) starring his character Joe Ledger. Michael Connelly was there today, along with Tess Gerritsen and Debbie Macomber. Unbridled Books had their new books on display, of which Elise Blackwell's An Unfinished Score and Joyce Hinnefeld's Stranger Here Below are two that have been on my "watch list".

There was a little romance at BEA too! The Romance Writers of America had plenty to look at as well as Kristi Astor signing her book Winter's Desire, which also has stories by Amanda McIntyre and Charlotte Featherstone as part of Harlequin Spice imprint.

I was able to talk with Jennifer of Zenescope whose Graphic Novels have gotten a lot of great buzz. She shared with me Grimm Fairy Tales, and Tales from Wonderland, in which the artwork is incredible and the storylines are very creative & a great read! More on this later...

Finally, wrapping up the day I chatted with Sleeping Bear Press, which publishes a beautiful selection of Children's Books. And I came home with something special for this coming Monday's Memoir Monday too! Thank you Sleeping Bear Press for the wonderful treat!

I'll be highlighting these books & other great books I came across at BEA in the coming weeks with reviews and blurbs so you can be on the lookout for them too! There was so much excitement at BEA, and even though I didn't get to see everything in one day, I still managed to put more books on my TBR list! I'll share those with you too!

Were you at BEA this week? Let me know what exciting authors you met, or soon to be released books you spotted! In the meantime... Happy reading! Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment